By far, the best new feature is support for super fast (slightly less fast than DSL) data access via EVDO. The speed difference is incredible and the latency is about 1/2 of what it used to be.
Benefits of the speed increase (and latency decrease):
- SSH sessions have nearly no lag! (note that I use pssh as my PalmOS SSH client)
- IRC, VNC and RDP remote desktop sessions are also greatly improved with nearly zero lag.
- Web browsing is MUCH faster due to the lower latency, faster download speeds and improvements to cache handling in Blazer v4.5.
- Doing a new email check my IMAP inbox (with 24,000+ messages) now takes about 10 seconds versus a minute on the Treo650. New emails download very fast.
- High quality streaming audio and video is now possible. I know lots of people are going gagga over the fact that Orb works. The 3GP test page worked fine for me.
- Tethering your Laptop via Bluetooth DUN results in speeds around 250Kbs. If you tether your laptop via USB the speeds are around 950Kbs!
Besides the killer speed increase there has also been a large round of polishing. Some things I've noticed in that regard include:
- The "screen is locked" dialog now shows the time.
- Contacts can be assigned a custom ring tone in the Contacts app.
- The SMS app has seen a face lift.
- The excellent Documents To Go app with PDF, MS Word, MS Excel (incidentally, it does calculations on TEXT cells the same way as Excel), MS Powerpoint support is now included and installed the ROM.
All in all I'm very pleased with the upgrade to the Treo700p.