We have been working on updating our Linux courseware and training for the lastest Linux distributions. Recently we took a look at SUSE Linux Professional 9.3 and here are few quick things we noticed:
- blowfish encryption in /etc/shadow by default
- user created during install is "auto-login" by default
- Kerberos implementation switched from Heimdal to MIT
- New Package Group Selections available: Fonts, Voip, Xen, Laptop
- Deleted Package Group Selection: LSB (lsb RPM package exists)
- The original Korn Shell shipped
- The boot process starts the graphical login before daemons are launched
- Network config tied to hardware via physical path via "_nm_name='bus-pci-0000:03:01.0'"
- syslogd replaced with syslog-ng as default
It is possible that some of these changes first appeared in SUSE Linux 9.2.